Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sunday Brunch and Knotty Pine

Today my mother came to visit me! Seeing as it was Sunday and she was right on time, we participated in a New York institution and went out for brunch to one of my favorite neighborhood restaurants, Community Food & Juice.

Part of the allure of Sunday brunch is being able to put on a pair of massive sunglasses, scoot into the sun, and eat your meal outside. It's a scientific fact that challa french toast tastes up to 34.7% better al fresco (don't quote me on that). Unfortunately for city-dwelling synesthetes, eating outside introduces a whole slew of factors that may interrupt a perfectly good meal. These factors include:

Construction- the noise a jackhammer makes on concrete is best described as "creme de gritty dentist toothpaste."
Skateboarders- the scraping noise their wheels make is like biting the inside of your cheek.
...and car horns- no taste, just annoying as heck.

For obvious reasons I opted to have the hostess seat my mother and me inside.

I had an egg white omelet with goat cheese and apple-smoked bacon. On the side there was a scoop of hash browns laced in with strips of bright orange carrot and two slices of toast.



I always choose to have my omelets with egg whites when I can, not only because it dramatically reduces the cholesterol level of your meal but also because the egg whites tend to cook lighter and fluffier than they would mixed with the yolk. I've always paid a lot of attention to the texture as well as the taste of my food, and the difference in density makes a huge difference when you're adding another strong protein like bacon.

The slices of bacon in my omelet were very thickly cut and not as salty as I had anticipated- this ended up being fine because the goat cheese ended up having plenty of salt in its flavor profile. It was this unexpectedness compensation for the meal's saltiness that reminded me of the pleasant dissonance in the song "Knotty Pine" by David Byrne & Dirty Projectors off the compilation "Dark Was The Night" (which is one of the best-curated folk compilations of the past few years, by the way).



Have a great week everybody!

-Alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment